Even though I’m a hardcore Joomla fan and yet to be disappointed by this content management system I have to admit that WordPress rules all other blogging platforms. Ok, that’s off my chest now! One of the things that you should be concerned about when serious about blogging is creating ongoing backups of your WordPress installation. In particular if you’re using WordPress for business then this should be a requirement. There are several plugins out there for WordPress that will let you create backups although there’s one in particular that every WordPress blogger should have.
Your WordPress Backup
Creating daily backups of your WordPress blog creates a safe restoration point for when things hit the fan. There may be unusual situations where you run into problems with your blog and your backup will come quite handy. The setup process of automated daily backups is actually quite easy and I’d like to share that with you. You will need to download the WordPress Backup Plugin and install it on your current blog prior to following the next set of instructions on how to install, configure, and manage your WordPress Blog backup.
Installing & Configuring WordPress Backup Plugin
1. Once you have downloaded your copy of the WordPress Backup Plugin you will need to install it.
2. Log in to your WordPress Blog Admin area by visiting http://www.mywebsite.com/wp-admin
3. Select Plugins – Add New from the left-hand side dashboard menu. Find the .zip compressed file you downloaded and uploaded it to your WordPress installation. Activate Plugin after installation if it has not been automatically turned on post installation.
4. Post installation click on Tools – Backup to access the actual plugin.
5. Configure the three individual sections Tables / Backup Options / Scheduled Backup in order to create an automated backup instance.
6. You’re done!
Automated backups of your WordPress blog should be scheduled for generation on daily basis. Refer to the individual section settings under the plugin’s configuration area to customize the behavior to your liking. This should help and ensure that your blog is protected as you will always have a copy of your WordPress Blog installation in case you ever need it.