I’ve said it before and will say it again. Joomla is hands down the best Content Management System out there with the most flexibility for web development. In most cases new or intermediate users to Joomla think that the upgrade process of the CMS is a hassle. True! It’s a hassle if you don’t understand how to do it right or never done it before but definitely not impossible. Also just a reminder to those that are just starting out with Joomla, please read thru the Introduction to Joomla documentation for your own sake.
The Update Manager Component for Joomla remains one of the oldest and most efficient piece of code ever written in the history of the Content Management System. Its intent and purpose is to simplify the upgrade process of your Joomla 1.5.x version to its latest release. Speaking from personal experience I must say that I am truly impressed with its ease-of-use and simplicity in the initial installation process. As an experienced web developer with 5+ years experience in using Joomla I was truly surprised at how quickly I was able to upgrade several of my Joomla websites. Ok, enough of the rambling and let’s get on with the installation of the component.
HowTo: Installing Update Manager Component for Joomla 1.5.x
If you follow the instructions below precisely you should have an updated version of Joomla 1.5.x in a matter of 5-10 minutes.
- Grab the latest copy of Update Manager Component for Joomla 1.5.x
- Log in to your Joomla Administration area by going to http://www.yourdomain.com/administrator
- Click on Extensions – Install/Uninstall from the top menu in the Administration area.
- Click on Browse button to select the .zip file package you downloaded in Step #1 above.
- Congratulations! You have installed the Update Manager Component for Joomla 1.5.x
- IMPORTANT! Please make a backup of your website files and database at this point in time just to be on the safe side.
- Click on Components – Update Manager and follow the on-screen instructions to update your Joomla 1.5.x installation.
As I mentioned above this process should take you roughly around 5 – 10 minutes given that you do not run into any technical errors. There are things that could malfunction in this installation process but as any website in general it’s always expected.
If you have any questions or run into problems feel free to contact me for some general technical support.