Being introduced to the Joomla Content Management System application was probably one of the best things I’ve done since actively becoming involved in the web development World. There is so much that you can do with this open source application that the possibilities are truly endless. One of the things that I wanted to share in particular with my blog readers is to show you how you can manage your Jomla files internally. If you struggle in learning how to use FTP (File transfer Protocol) and using applications that use this type of protocol then the Joomla Xplorer Component for Joomla is an ideal solution for you.
This involves an installation of a component which will give you access to the root structure files of your Joomla website. Don’t worry…it’s a free component that you can download for the latest version of Joomla and install it in a couple of simple steps. The administration of your Joomla files for your particular template are handled via the backend of your Joomla website. You will need to have a working Joomla based website prior to installing this particular component. Below is a short list of some of the core features that you can take advantage of when managing your Joomla files with Joomla Xplorer.
- Upload Files
- CHMOD files
- Modify/Delete existing files
- Use ‘File’ or ‘FTP’ mode (login information will be needed for this)
- View entire root directories
- Move Files
- Search entire web root structure
Managing Your Joomla Files – Joomla Xplorer Installation
Prior to jumping and starting to modify your Joomla website files we will need to perform the installation of the actual Joomla Xplorer Component for Joomla. Listed below are short steps on how you can quickly download and install this particular component on the backend of your Joomla website.
- Download the latest version of Joomla Xplorer component to your desktop.
- Log in to the administration area of your Joomla website. You should know the address to it by now!
- The Joomla Xplorer component works for Joomla 1.0 and 1.5 (Legacy Mode). Follow each individual steps below in order to perform the proper installation method.
- Joomla 1.0 Installation – Select ‘Installers – Components’ and click on the ‘Browse’ button. Find the package you downloaded and select it. Follow directions and component should install.
- Joomla 1.5 Installation – You must enable Legacy Mode if you have not done so already otherwise this component will malfunction. Select ‘Extensions – Plugin Manager’ and in the search box type Legacy. Enable the Legacy Plugin. Then, click on ‘Extensions – Install/Uninstall’ and click on the ‘Browse’ button. Select the package that you downloaded from your desktop and upload it. Follow directions and component should install.
If you encounter any errors during the installation process of the installation process it’s most likely due to your PHP Configuration settings. You may need to adjust these in order to get the component to work properly.
Has this short tutorial on managing your Joomla files with Joomla Xplorer helped you navigate and moderate your Joomla website more efficiently? Stuck during the installation process or not sure how to complete the process? Feel free to contact me for help with the Joomla Xplorer component.