Setting up your new Joomla website is only the first step to unlocking hidden potentials and opening up a new door on the Web with your web presence. As voted by the online community in 2009, Joomla CMS still remains the #1 Content Management System in the World by preference of users and function availability. Recently the latest version of Joomla 1.5 was released which truly shined and validated its capabilities to deliver the goods. One of the components that your Joomla website should have is proper Search Engine Optimization. Getting found in search engines such as Google and Yahoo means a great deal to your web presence and in particularly help you acquire organic traffic.
One of the best SEO component for Joomla and probably the most advanced CMS option available on the web today is sh404SEF. This particular component for Joomla offers SEO functionality unlike anything else of its caliber. If you are serious about Search Engine Optimization and would like to properly optimize your website in such fashion than this is the component you will want to install on your website.
sh404SEF functions include:
- Automatic SEF (Search Engine Friendly) URL rewriting
- Advanced Cache options for small and large database queries
- Manual Meta Tag assignment
- Custom URL redirects
- 301, 302, 404 and other error redirections
- Custom error pages and redirections
- Logging of all activity server side of your Joomla application
- Individual Component redirection and configuration for SEF
- Default file extension assignment to all pages withing your Joomla application
- Security – Project Honey Pot Global protection
- …and Much, Much, Much more!
The sh404SEF Component is available for both Joomla 1.0 and Joomla 1.5 versions. The support for Joomla 1.0 has now been officially been deserted by the Joomla Community as of mid 2009 due to the official launch of Joomla 1.5 You can download sh404SEF Component for Joomla and install it on your Joomla website fairly quickly.
Installation of sh404SEF on your Joomla application:
- Login to the backend of your Joomla application by visiting http://www.yourwebsiteurl.com/administrator
- Joomla 1.0.x – click on Installers -> Components to navigate to the installation section of Components in your Joomla website. Select the downloaded package of sh404SEF and click on Upload File & Install.
- Joomla 1.5.x – click on Extensions -> Install/Uninstall from the top menu. Select the downloaded package of sh404SEF and click on Upload File & Install.
- After the installation of sh404SEF, navigate to the component itself to configure it properly. Choose Components -> sh404SEF and you will be taken to the administration page of the component itself.
- It may take you anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours to properly install and configure your sh404SEF Component and ensure that it works properly.